Heathwood's Checklist for Moving Day
- Double-check all closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to ensure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, money and jewelry with you.
- Pack toys, games or special items for the kids to keep them busy during the move.
- Remember to pack a box of basics that you may need on move-in day (tools, paper products, all-purpose household cleaners, etc.). Be sure to have it loaded last so that it will be first off at your new home.
- Don't pack paint, bottles of bleach, gas cans or other inflammables. It is against federal law for movers to transport flammable and combustible materials.
- Use strong boxes and containers that can be secured tightly. Purchase special boxes for dishes, wardrobe and other special items.
- Pack audio-video equipment in their original boxes. Label cables and tighten transit screws. If removing screws, tape them to the objects they are removed from.
- Avoid loading more than 50 pounds into one box.
- Label each box and indicate the following:
(a) Which room it should go in
(b) Whether it is fragile
(c) If it should be loaded last so it will be unloaded first.
- Cushion contents with packing material such as bubble wrap, newspaper or tissue. Save room by using towels and blankets to wrap fragile items.
- Pack books tightly on end in small boxes. If musty smelling, sprinkle talcum powder between the pages and wrap the book before packing. Leave stored for a couple of months to eliminate the smell.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned before moving and leave them in wrappings for the move.
- Pack medicines in a leakproof container.